Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Trauma-Informed Care: Why It Matters




In The National Council on Behavioral Health’s February newsletter, “Notes” from their CEO, they issued a “call to arms” for trauma-infomed care throughout all levels of the mental health delivery system.

The article led off with this quote from a former client:
"During every incarceration, every institutionalization, every court-ordered drug treatment program, it was always the same: I was always treated like a hopeless case. All people could see was the way I looked or the way I smelled. It wasn’t until I finally entered a recovery-oriented, trauma-informed treatment program a little more than four years ago, where I felt safe and respected, that I could begin to heal…Someone finally asked me ‘What happened to you?’ instead of ‘What’s wrong with you?" ~ Tonier Cain

Read the full article here: http://www.thenationalcouncil.org/cs/traumainformed_care_a_call_to_arms

No comments:

Post a Comment