Monday, December 24, 2012

Fear of Phobias


By Tara Dickherber, M.Ed, LPC
Senior Certified Practitioner, Rapid Resolution Therapy 

Prior to my training, and continued training, in Rapid Resolution Therapy, I was seriously afraid of phobias. Well actually as a therapist it frightened me to have a client come to see me who had any type of phobia. Why you may ask? Because I had no clue what to do with a phobia, how to lessen that fear for the individual, let alone clear that phobia out! 

Now however, I have a much deeper understanding of the complicated human mind, and when someone mentions they have a "phobia" I just dive right in and clear it out.  My first experience since learning how to clear phobias as an RRT therapist was with a client who had a deep fear of driving on large highways. (I tried to find an actual phobia name for fear of driving on a highway, but I couldn't find one.)  She could drive around her small town and go to work and the grocery store, etc. But to drive into the city or even come see me, it meant having to drive on a large highway system and thus she had to have someone bring her to her RRT appointments. So in her second session we tackled that with great success. She even drove home feeling completely calm and confident! 

Since then I have helped two more clients clear their fear of flying (Pteromerhanophobia). The first client had numerous flights scheduled throughout this year and had to take prescription medications just to get on the plane. When she completed her first flight after our session she immediately e-mailed me to say she had just had her first amazing, medication-free flight! The second client that approached me with this phobia noted she didn't take medications during the flight but had panic attacks at take-off and landing. Again, I cleared it up! She noted that the flight she had after that session was much better and felt that what we had done was successful. 

The most recent client I worked with had Ophidiophobia - fear of snakes. Unfortunately for this client she has had a den of snakes under her deck. Prior to coming in to see me she had a professional come out five times to remove five different snakes. She told me that even looking at pictures of snakes made her skin crawl, and she became panic stricken. She had actually been avoiding her backyard because of those snakes. When we were done she pulled out her smart phone, pulled up pictures of snakes and had no emotional or physiological reaction!

To sum it all up, my fear of phobias (Phobophobia) has cleared its self up! Another Rapid Resolution Therapy success!


Be well, Be happy - Tara

Tara S. Dickherber, M.Ed, LPC
1360 S 5th St., Suite 394, St. Charles, MO 63301

No comments:

Post a Comment